There are nonetheless a couple of days left in 2019, however I’m no longer protecting my breath. After greater than six months of no updates, Google updated its Android distribution knowledge in Would possibly. Since then, greater than seven months (234 days to be actual) have handed with no unmarried replace.
The Android developer site hosts a distribution dashboard that main points the adoption of Google’s cell working machine variations. With over 2.5 billion active Android devices available in the market, Android’s distribution turns out to be useful data for someone who makes selections relating to Google’s cell working machine. It’s extremely precious to understand how broadly (or narrowly) an Android model — or extra importantly, an API level — has been followed.
In October, Google did share that Android Pie had 22.6% adoption in August 2019. That supposed the second-latest model of Android was once working on a 5th of gadgets after some 12 months. Google didn’t, alternatively, percentage adoption numbers for every other Android model, together with Android 10, the newest model that began rolling out in September.
Google used to replace its dashboard per 30 days. The closing common replace was once in October 2018. Google blamed a technical glitch for the space between then and Would possibly 2019. The corporate informed us on the time that it had resolved the problem and promised to stay the dashboard up to date once more. The updates can be nearer to quarterly than per 30 days, the corporate mentioned.
After a couple of months it turned into transparent that Google had damaged that promise. We reached out to Google a couple of occasions since Would possibly. The corporate declined to supply any new numbers and didn’t reply to requests for remark.
Listed below are the “current” numbers from Would possibly 2019:
- Android nine.zero Pie (August 2018): 10.four%
- Android eight.zero/eight.1 Oreo (August 2017, December 2017): Up 6.eight issues to 28.three%
- Android 7.zero/7.1 Nougat (August 2016, October 2016): Down nine.nine issues 19.2%
- Android 6.zero Marshmallow (October 2015): Down four.four issues to 16.nine%
- Android five.zero/five.1 Lollipop (November 2014, March 2015): Down three.four issues to 14.five%
- Android four.four KitKat (October 2013): Down zero.7 issues to six.nine%
- Android four.1/four.2/four.three Jelly Bean (July 2012, November 2012, and July 2013): Down 1.eight issues to three.zero%
- Android four.zero Ice Cream Sandwich (December 2011): Flat at zero.three%
- Android 2.three Gingerbread (December 2010): Up zero.1 issues to zero.three%
This knowledge is needless. Do Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich nonetheless have the minimal zero.1% to turn up at the dashboard? What’s Android 10’s adoption percentage? Which variations must builders goal? What number of customers have gadgets that make stronger a undeniable function? When in 2020 will Google factor an replace? No person is aware of.
As a substitute of standard dashboard updates, it looks as if Google best desires to percentage tidbits of fine information. We most likely gained’t see the newest numbers till Google has one thing certain to mention about Android 10 adoption.
ProBeat is a column during which Emil rants about no matter crosses him that week.